Thursday, August 5, 2010

How large the habitat project?


          
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          
These are a couple of shots of my field out back showing some of the native grasses and forbs (weeds) that are flourishing.

Recently, it was suggested to me that you could make a difference in habitat w/ as little as 10 acres. IMO, that is true, but it doesn't have to be that large either. In fact, IMO, even back yard projects can make a difference, especially when several people in a neighborhood work together on such things. But anything that you do to improve habitat makes the world a better place.
In fact, the field that I have been talking about here is merely a 3 acre field behind my house. I began the project last year and it will remain a continuing project. But I have already seen an increase in bird life that even my neighbors are noticing too.
This 3 acres is adjacent to a small cattle ranch that has very little, if any, large game other than too many coyotes. But it is connected by corridors of fencerows and creek beds to other habitat that does sustain large wildlife. Hopefully, in time, the larger animals will find a way to my little project and make themselves visible.
I never plan to hunt them here, as I have too many close neighbors on 3 sides. But having a small creek on my western border w/ the ranch acts as an excellent corridor from other areas. Most of the people here have 1-2 acre lots and they keep them pretty well mowed, so there is little other habitat or cover to attract much more than birds near them.
But the closer neighbors have noticed what I'm doing and some have asked about it. When I explain, I'm not too sure they can appreciate the idea; but maybe when some larger animals start showing up, they will change their thinking... But, then again, maybe they will see the results of my labors in other ways too... For now, at least I can enjoy it...

2 comments:

Albert A Rasch said...

Bo,

What a great concept. Here in Florida the developers pretty much stripped everything off the properties, leaving only the largest live oaks. That was only because the law required them to leave them, otherwise I think they would have knocked them down too.

When it is all said and done, all that is on the land is St Augestine grass, which requires lots of irrigation, and a few shrubs. If there had been any fore-thought put into the projects, they might have created buffer zones, and corridors that would have allowed at lest some of the wildlife to remain.

Thanks for the opportunity to comment, and I look forward to reading more of your work.

Best regards,
Albert A Rasch
Wild Ed's Texas Outdoors: Texas Alligator Gar Deserve Better Protection

Bio Bo said...

Considering your email spawned this thread in the 1st place, I can see where you might think it's a "great concept."LOL. But the idea that every parcel of land/lot has to be cleanly manicured is a flawed concept when it comes to habitat preservation. Creating corridors around the edges and feathering those edges can be as aesthetic as a well manicured landscape and much more beneficial to wildlife.